Search This Blog

Thursday, April 1, 2010

Week 2 at the Whill

Well I have been bad about logging my experiences this week I must admit.The tasks this week have been very spring cleaning centric.

Mon. was filled with cleaning out the pond while it was raining as was Tuesday. Cleaning out the pond, which hadn't been cleaned out in recent Wavehill staff history, had us interns and gardeners shoveling muck and gravel out of the bottom of the pool into buckets and then dumping those buckets on various parts of the grounds. While some people were doing that other people were using push brooms to push water and watery muck towards the garbage pump, that we had rented to help move the job along faster. We also removed some thirty or so buckets, often very heavy, from the interior of the pond that held water plants. I am telling you this wasn't an easy task but I really got into it. Even in the rain I was singing along, you know that song form Mary Poppins Chim Chimney Chim Chim Cher Roo? I like to keep busy.

The rest of the week I helped one of the other gardeners in the greenhouse and I learned about dividing plants today. We divided a clump of Miscanthis, a clump of pansy pink iris, and a clump of phlox. It was cool because I had never done that before. It made me feel bad for the folks at the High Line though because now I understand what kind of work they have cut out for them, with all those hundreds upon hundreds of clumps of grasses.

We also had our first Plant of the Week Thursday. Which is when each of the interns pick a plant and give a short presentation on it. I chose the Iris reticulata. I think it went well and I also really enjoyed the presentations of the other interns as well.

Things I learned:
1. I learned how to divide grasses and bulbs.
2. I learned about the plant Iris reticulata.
3. I learned that the good life is keeping your hands busy during the day, your mind busy in the evening, keeping your belly full, and having someone you love to kiss on before and after work.

peace out :)

No comments:

Post a Comment