Search This Blog

Saturday, March 27, 2010

Roses

Roses are for Lover's,
That is people who are in love with Roses. We spent the better part of the day pruning roses on Friday, which thankfully only has to happen once a year. When I first gazed upon that thick thorny patch of new and old growth intertwined in a mass that no human would venture into. I thought WTF what kind of internship did I sign on for. After we were shown how to approach pruning the plants we set off on our own corners working our way into the center. At first I moved very slowly but then after being pierced through my leather gloves a few times, and learning that this particular kind of rose can be cut back quite vigorously, I had at it. By the time we finished pruning I started to think it wasn't that bad. And maybe when these beasts start to bloom I will really understand why folks are so in love with roses.

Things Learned:
1. when pruning roses cut back old branches and thin growth
2. work from the top of the rose bush and then the bottom
3. use a rack when screening compost to help move the sticks and stones around with more ease

No comments:

Post a Comment