Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Taxes turns to therapy

Over the past year and a half I have moved from Pittsburgh, PA to my parents house in IL, to New York, to Homestead, FL, to New York, to my parents house, to New York, to Pittsburgh, to New York,to Brooklyn, to New York, to my parents house, and now back to new York. If you have a hard time getting motivated to do your taxes imagine how tough it was for me to get started today.
I am using my father's income tax filing program to file this year because I thought I might need a little guidance. I have worked four different jobs in New York and Pittsburgh, collected unemployment, and paid student loans. None of this was done in IL. But since my father's program was downloaded to his computer in IL, the program kept trying to make me file in IL.
So I called this company which helps you to file your taxes and talked to a lady who wasn't helpful so I called again and thats when Matt answered the phone. And tax filing time slowly turned into marriage counseling. Matt's marriage is seeing some tough times right now. His partner of 20 years is committing adultery and says that she doesn't love him anymore. They aren't sleeping in the same room and she is contemplating filing for divorce. Matt had a lot to tell me about his current situation and I listened. I tried to help and tell him to honor himself and also, if he wanted to, honor his marriage.
But then he asked me what I would do?
Now I have cheated and I have been cheated on and it isn't an easy thing to deal with on either end of the spectrum. I told Matt that you have to be a good person, you have to try and work with this person, but you have to have a level of self preservation as you go through all this. If you need space, take the space, if you need time, take the time.
Anyway we never fixed my tax problem because we got so lost in his life and also my mom had dinner on the table. But I think I really helped Matt this evening. He may not have helped me finish filing my taxes but he did help me to remember that life is hard sometimes. Life doesn't always go the way you want but you must be thankful for what you have. Stick to the positive side of things. Because once you loose that you loose life.
I guess I will finish my taxes tomorrow ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment