Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Wavehill Internship

Hello Folks,
Well I started my internship at Wavehill two days ago. I have been on unemployment all winter and it is time to leave that safety net behind and re-enter the work force. Although I did go to the Labor office of New York today to try and see if there was some way that I could maintain a portion of my unemployment anyway. The answer was of course a big fat NO! I am nervous of course about how things will work out but hopeful for the future.

We spent our first day raking up a lawn area that had a whole bunch of sweet gum seed pods on it. At first I was admiring these soft spined balls of auburn, but as the day wore on a grew tired of what seemed like their unending numbers. We, me my boss and the four other interns, pried all of the sweet gum balls, that had wedged themselves half way into the soft wet spring soil, out. It was quite the task but rewarding and a good team building exercise. Today we cleared out another area, referred to as the conifer slope, removing sticks, pine cones, leaves, and the like. I had to leave early to go to the labor office so I missed our time in the greenhouse, BUMMER!
Oh and we also removed some under-story saplings, that kinda look like yews, and replanted them to an actual under-story area.
The people are just as nice as the folks at The High Line and the Garden is gorgeous. It is the only time in my life that I wish I had a car. This is because my commute is an hour and twenty minutes each way. I have taken to doing crosswords and of course reading. My book right now is biomimcry, interesting so far.

Well otherwise things seem as right as rain ;)
peace out!

No comments:

Post a Comment