Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Dive and Urban Farming

Howdy Y'all!
I saw a great! short film this weekend at The Peace on Earth Film Festival called DIVE! It was about dumpster diving for food. Since I have dumpster dived before this concept was nothing new to me. What was new info though was the amazing numbers they presented on food waste. In all my diving experiences I never saw the amount of food that the people in this movie were able to produce. In one night they were able to attain, from the dumpster, enough chicken to feed themselves for one year. That is RIDICULOUS!
The other big issue/topic they were working with, in the documentary, was getting the stores to donate food to homeless shelters or food banks. Many of the stores in their area said that they donated food but then when they would go to check the store's dumpsters they would be full of not donated food.
All in all a very good short documentary that was serious, but it didn't make you feel guilty, and empowering. I give it a thumbs up ;)
Also the other documentaries were good as well Homegrown Revolution and Namaste. I unfortunately didn't make it to the sat. and sun. portion of the fest so I can't really comment on that, but judging on Friday I would say that those films are probably worth looking into as well.

Okay second topic ;)
Urban Farming, which is a great passion of mine, is a subject I am always searching the internet for. Whatever snippet I can grab I like to follow like news articles, groups forming, and active folks in general who are more inclined towards a sustainable future with a focus on urban farming and urban homesteading.
Anywho, I was reading an article in the Seattle Times about a great new group that just formed called the Alley Cats. Whose mission it is to grow food on donated empty plots on Beacon Hill and they hope to spread into other areas as well. They have people who are trained in soil sciencs, landscaping, and folks who are switching careers as well. Here as link to the article http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2011220435_urbanfarm01m.html
It is just so empowering to read this stuff and know that there are so many other people out there who share similar views on community, health, impoverished neighborhoods, and creating more sustainable cities.
Some books I am reading right now that you may enjoy.
Farm City: An Education of an Urban Farmer
No Impact Man
Silent Spring
Medicine as Meditation
and a book I just got from the library that has great big pictures of crazy looking poultry, which I can't wait to do some drawings of. I swear animals are the only thing that give me that feeling like, "Oh! you are so cute I just want to bite your head off!" Sounds a little crazy I know but hey! Sometimes things are really f....ing cute.
peace out folks :))))))))

No comments:

Post a Comment